Friday, March 16, 2018

A Cup of Columbine



I have something so cheerful for your Friday!  Marcy has illustrated a new Colour Story Illustration for the month and it’s a gem!  It’s called Cup of Columbine.   There are two versions of the image with or without the baby robin and egg.  So, one is more simplified, and this one I’ve used shows off the baby bird and that cute egg.  I couldn’t resist playing with this one first.  Marcy does birds so well!

I printed the image quite large so it would cover almost the entire card face, and also lightened the lines up just a little bit so the image was more gray than black.  Marcy offers no-line versions of both the images, but I didn’t want to go quite that light, so I just made the black lines slightly more transparent in Word, decreasing it by about 30%.

Marcy thought this image would be a good opportunity to play with blues and purples so that’s what I did.  I found a gorgeous columbine that is a bluey-purple and then one that’s a regular purple.  I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Hosta, and the blue-green varieties are my favourite, so it was a joy to add that colour in there.  


It was so fun to colour that baby robin!  I wasn’t sure if they start to have a red breast when they’re little, but I found one type of baby robin that starts with a soft orange breast and that went perfectly with with columbine centres.  I added a little soft orange into the leaves of the columbine as well to tie it together bettter.  The sentiment is from Power Poppy’s set, Potted Primroses.  

I gave the napkin underneath a striped pattern in the blues that match the bluey-purple columbine.  And, I added the white polka-dots to the cup with a white gel pen.  It’s such a beautiful image!  


Lots of markers here!  

For some more beautiful inspiration, here’s the team playing along today...

Christine Okken
Cindy Lawrence

Julie Koerber
Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker

and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog
SaveSave

9 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeoussssssssssss Christine

gr karin

Helen said...

Christine, I love your card, love this design--the bird/egg addition are delightful. It's colored so beautifully. tfs

Joy, USA said...

Hi Christine! Your coloring work is gorgeous!!! I love how real the little bird looks and how beautifully all the colors work together. Oh to be so talented. Love the card and thanks for sharing.

Traci M said...

This is beautiful beyond words, Christine! I will wait patiently for the clear stamp release. Some time would you consider doing a coloring video? I just ordered more blue copics in anticipation of this Columbine!

Sue L. said...

WOW Christine. Incredible. Impressed w how u tied together the soft orange w the baby robin, the leaves and the flower centers. The napkin was sooo interesting w the stripes! Ohhhh the flowers were just beautiful w the purples a d blues as well as the hosta leaves. You have such a gift for colors. I ALWAYS show my husband your work as he totally enjoys too!

Linda Pekrul said...

I just adore this Christine! You have done a stunning job with the stamp! Seriously swooning!!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Christine I do love this, your coloring is just beautiful, excellent even on the bird!!

Leslie Miller said...

Gorgeous, Christine! You did a beautiful job on all of it, and I especially love the blue-greens and the bird. Outstanding!

CherylQuilts said...

Ooh, Christine! This is gorgeousness! Totally in love with this digital release, and you've made it shine so beautifully! I love the colors you've chosen and how it has a no-line look but still has a lot of definition. I love that. And what a darling baby robin with gorgeous strokes for her detailed feathers. Sweetness right down to the egg and the sweet tea cloth! Stunning card with the sentiment tag and embossed background! Warm hugs, sweet friend! xoxo